Benedek Elek Faculty of Pedagogy

The institution has played a key role in Hungarian pre-school education since 1899. The building, which belonged to “The Redeemer” congregation of nuns, housed secondary level pre-school and primary education from the 1899/1900 academic year till its secularization. The impressive main building, which serves as the present campus of the faculty, was built in 1927 by the Ministry of Education. Starting in September 1959, the Institution for Kindergarten Teachers provided higher education courses for students. Since the 1989/90 academic year, students have been trained on the basis of the new six-term college curriculum. Since the 1990’s social education courses are also provided.

In 1991 the college was named after Elek Benedek, the famous Hungarian publicist and story writer. Since 1st January, 2000 the school has been operating as one of the ten faculties of the University of West Hungary.

 

The faculty is not only the best-known but also the most respected institution with long traditions in pre-school education in Hungary. The skills and knowledge of graduating students are accepted and highly regarded nationwide. The faculty’s professional education for infant and child care is very popular, and courses start with the highest number of first year students in Hungary. According to the survey by the National Higher Education Information Centre the reputation of the labour market value of BPK diplomas received the second place in the ranking list among the 17 pre-school and elementary school teachers’ education faculties.

Besides basic courses, the faculty offers several different educational programs: professional education, special developmental programs, professional comprehensive examinations, as well as Ph.D. programs. BPK is expanding to create further education opportunities in the field of communication, social sciences and economics. There are extra programs for outstanding students. Since 2007 a Special School for Social Pedagogy has been serving them.

Program Areas:

- Pedagogy education programs: B.A., special further education

- Social Sciences education programs: B.A.

- Specialized Social Services Group and Office Management Group: professional education

- Science of Economics education programs: Ph.D. Program (as part of the Economics Ph.D. School)

 

Research areas are determined by the profile of the faculty (social sciences, education studies). Lecturers of the faculty carry out basic and applied research in the following science areas: sociology, political science, law, historical sciences (history of science, culture and education), psychology (psychology of personality, developmental psychology, social psychology) sports sciences, linguistics, theory of literature, information science. Several professional workshops focus on scientific research functions at BPK, to study disorders of achievement and behaviour, Freinet and project education, digital curriculum development, history of education in Sopron, developing e-learning materials.

 

In the last academic year the faculty has invested in development which has created a multimedia room, a large auditorium, a demonstration room for infant and child care students, several rooms for drama, social sciences and social service education, as well as offices, lecture rooms and public areas for students. The faculty offers special rooms for different courses. Theatre performances and puppet shows can be practised and performed on the small stage of the drama room. Lifelike dolls in the demonstration room help acquiring infant and child care skills. The psychology room ensures appropriate conditions for self-knowledge training and conflict management practice. Courses on leisure management and game pedagogy are also given in specially designed rooms. There are also 5 auditoriums, several seminar rooms, 5 rooms with broadband Internet access, a gymnasium, a fitness room, a student centre, a library with 60,000 books, a canteen, a bookshop and an assembly room. The student residence, built next to the faculty’s main building, accommodates 118 students.

The faculty offers a wide variety of on-campus sports facilities including a renewed handball court, which has been serving for other sports since 2008 as well. Further project plans for the inner reconstruction of the main building of the faculty are to be carried out in the near future.